Sunday, January 24, 2010

My First Baby

I just want to take a moment to praise my first baby. He is now 6 years old, and has played the role of friend, playmate, comforter and protector. Dre was used to a certain level of attention, which decreased a bit when Dylan was born. He has adjusted well. Though he still has his jealous moments, I couldn't ask for a better dog. He lets Dylan pull his ears and grab his fur, all the while just doing his best to lick the baby's fingers and face. He knows the difference between dog toys and baby toys, and has not yet chewed up one that doesn't belong to him. When I am rocking Dylan to sleep, he will come into the nursery and lay at my feet until the baby falls asleep. He has even invented a game that he and Dylan play together. While Dylan jumps in his bouncer and the little mirror attached shines light on the walls, Dre will chase the light and give Dylan a nudge whenever he stops moving.

Even though I can't pay attention to him as much as I used to, he still loves me and is there with an enthusiastic greeting when I get home. He does his best to protect our family, barking at even the slightest noise outside, and chasing anyone who comes too close to our property. I'm sure if they showed any aggression he would run away and hide, but he does his best nonetheless. He's such an integral part of our family and I hope he's as happy with us as we are with him.

1 comment:

  1. My first grandchild is certainly a dear. Just ask Lucy...she loves him best.

    ReplyDelete