Saturday, January 2, 2010

The Hustle and Bustle of the Holidays

Well the holidays are over. I have mixed feelings - I hate taking down the tree and decorations (that's why they didn't come down until January 15) but I love the calm after the storm. They seem to have flown by even faster than normal, and somehow in the middle of them Dylan went from 3 to 4 to 5 months old.

Thanksgiving was a week-long affair. We visited the Johannes' in NC the weekend before, spent the day with my family on Thanksgiving day, and with Chad's Dad that Friday. It was much nicer than Thanksgivings in the past where we would travel from Eldersburg, to Catonsville to Parkville trying to see everyone in one day.

Dylan had his very first "Cookie Day" experience. His Aunt Jenny has decided to bring back the dough making event the evening before, and hopefully next year we will bring back the tradition of getting Christmas trees before baking cookies. Some of my favorite memories from my childhood are associated with this tradition and I hope that we can make it as much fun for the new generation of children that will begin with Dylan and his cousin Paul who will be born in late March or early April of 2010.


The weekend before Christmas, Heather, Chip, Kylie and Kiersten came up to celebrate with all the family here in Maryland. The night after they arrived we had a blizzard that dumped 2 feet of snow on the area. We all went to MomMom's at the beginning of the storm to get snowed in together. Too bad Dylan wasn't old enough to go outside and go sledding with the girls! The next day we dug ourselves out and went to the Ravens game with Heather and Chip.
Dylan's first Christmas began a new tradition - Chad and I hosted Christmas morning. This was the first time that I had not been at my parents' house for Christmas morning, so that was difficult. But I think this new tradition is nice, and Dylan will get to spend that special time with all sides of his family. I have to thank my family for not buying many huge gifts for him. I know it is hard to pass by all the cute baby items, but our 672 square foot house can't hold much more! :)


There is so much to look forward to in this new year. We have babies to welcome, marriages to celebrate, and milestone birthdays to enjoy. I look forward to all these events, as well as the surprises the year holds in store.


No comments:

Post a Comment